Forever in our ARMS on March 31, 2008

Forever in our ARMS on March 31, 2008
Life is really going to be interesting now.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Veterans Day, just my thoughts

Veterans Day is this coming Monday. My son Paul will be marching in the Veterans Day parade downtown on Sunday. My baby talks of joining the Airforce, I could not be more proud of him but at the same time, scare to death. Scare of what could happen to him, scared of him leaving home. I've always been worried by my boys leaving home. I know I have to let go, I just hope they always know where home is. He came home from school with an application. The recruiter told him to hold it till March before turning it in since he doesn't graduate until 2009.

As it becomes more real, what his plans are, you cant help but reflect on where this world is today. I've always believed our Military members are people made of gold, how do you thank someone who puts their life on the line for our freedom. They leave their family behind. My uncle died (by friendly fire) in Vietnam, I was too little to remember him. I was just reading a letter from a soldier to his parents (its posted at http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/). How sad and true alot of those letters are. These kids are fighting for the rights of people here that don't support them and bad mouth our President and our country. You hear on TV, our vets are coming home and ending up homeless, how sad. How sad that a pilot can make more money flying business people in safety than a pilot in war. How very sad that our elected Congress can retire and be taken care of For The Rest Of Their Lives, but our Military are forgotten.

I remember standing in Walmart last year during the holiday season, I was behind a lady who was behind a VERY YOUNG solider. He was stationed here with no family. He was buying easy fix it stuff for dinner. I didn't catch the whole conversation, but I stood in Awe as that lady thank him and handed him her name, phone number and address and invited him for a home cooked meal any time. How many times have I had the chance to say Thank you to someone in the military and let the moment pass.

I guess I'm rambling on, between the stress of waiting for Grace and the thought of my boys leaving home, and one them going off for at least four years, to serve his country (which by the way he has talked about since early Middle school) has just turned by nerves inside out.

I know my topic got turned around, but my original thought was this:

On this Veterans if you get a chance to thank our Military, don't let it pass.


No comments:

9 mths 3 wks 3 days from LID to Referral

4 mths 2 wks 2 days from MCC to Referral

Timeline from signing the application to Gotcha Day!!!!